Amalgam Fillings and Your Brain

Barbara Tritz
· June 12, 2023 ·

2 minutes

Amalgams Fillings are 50%, Mercury

Mercury-silver fillings, also called “amalgams,” have been the standard of dental care since the 1800s. These fillings are still done in many dental offices today. Mercury is damaging and toxic to our brains.

Amalgam fillings are made up of silver, mercury, copper, zinc, tin, and other trace metals. Mercury makes up 50% of the filling. They have been used for so long because they are inexpensive, withstand moisture, are easy to place in the tooth, are strong, and withstand the forces of chewing/clenching, as well as being durable.

The problem is the mercury within the amalgam fillings. When I went to school I was taught that once “triturated” (when the silver, copper, tin, and trace metals and the mercury are mixed in the triturator – the machine that wiggled them all together) then the mercury was deemed safe and locked into the “amalgam”. This however is false. Mercury vapors leach out of the fillings with every toothbrushing, chewing, grinding, clenching, and especially in the dental hygiene chair when polishing teeth. This vapor release continues for years.

Mercury bubbling out of an amalgam filling (Under magnification)

If a dentist takes a drill to a mercury silver filling, he or she creates even more mercury dust and vapor. This dust and vapor are immediately absorbed into the lungs and then bloodstream, and affects the heart, liver, kidneys, and brain.

Mercury vapors from rubbing an old silver mercury filling,

The brain is a mercury sponge and absorbs these vapors. Mercury is lipophilic, meaning it loves fatty tissues. The brain is mostly fat, so it’s a perfect place for mercury to hang out. Mercury can stay in the brain for decades.

The point of today’s blog post is to create awareness of the damage mercury vapors do to the brain. They cross the blood-brain barrier and the placental barrier, and cause damage to the central nervous system.

Watch what mercury vapors do to the myelin sheath.

Mercury disintegrates brain neurons. For a much more indepth discussion of mercury please read this blog post: Are Your Mercury Fillings Making You Sick?

Mercury is a poison and is part of the cause of dementia. If you have silver fillings in your mouth, you are poisoning yourself every day as you chew, brush and drink. Please learn more about mercury toxicity. There is no safe level of mercury. Not only is it connected to dementia, it is also connected to Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease and Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis.

FYI- the American Dental Association still believes that amalgam mercury fillings are safe. Yet, the FDA says that amalgams should no longer be placed in children, those medically compromised, women contemplating pregnancy, those pregnant or nursing. Should we only protect those members of our society?

Protect your brain. Be safe.

Become an educated health conscious consumer.

Sincerely,

Barbara Tritz BRDH

Queen of Brain Health

Hello, I'm Barbara Tritz

Unveiling the Stories Behind Dental Hygiene

Loving science, especially biology, from an early age, Barbara is a registered dental hygienist, certified biological hygienist, and orofacial myofunctional therapist. In 2019, she received the Hu-Friedy/ADHA Master Clinician Award from the American Dental Hygienist Association.

Share your thoughts below!

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SHARE

Read Next

Explore our curated articles for expert perspectives on maintaining optimal dental well-being.

Verified by MonsterInsights